The good, bad, ugly, and interesting news
This page is my ongoing collection of articles, links, and news items as I read them. I do lots of research and follow many resources. Make sure to bookmark this page so you can keep up on what’s current in the world of nutrition information.
Tweets by @FitnessVoodoo
- A new study shows the connection between fiber, fiber digesting bacteria, and asthma. Looks like getting more fiber may protect against allergic asthma
- Ever wonder how good the quality of your protein powder really is? Look no further than Labdoor
- How do you decide if you should believe a health claim? They can’t all be right. This entertaining presentation gives you a first rate education on how to understand and navigate the world of studies and health claims.
- This video presentation with Robert H. Lustig covers understanding the effects of increasing fructose in our diets. This is a great resource for understanding the mechanism for fructose (not to be confused for sugar). Although, demonizing sugar is no solution to the current health crises. You can watch Sugar: The Bitter Truth here. More info on obesity from the University of California can be found at their site on obesity, here.
New scare article: Campylobacter. The thing that makes chicken the #1 most germ infested meat. Take away? Handle raw chicken like a biohazard (don’t wash it). Once it’s cooked your fine. Definitely, watch the video. Normally I hate ‘scare news’ but there’s a good reason in this case.
- Lots of good information about Campylobacter in one convenient location. 98% to 46% rate of campylobacter detection in raw chicken samples for U.S. …flip a coin or cook your chicken.
- Eggs seem safe from Campylobacter. Contamination on shells is very low. Detailed studies here and here.